Remember way back when Governor Walker set up his legal defense fund and claimed it was merely for cooperation?
Walker’s campaign said it created a legal defense fund to pay for expenses while cooperating with a secret Milwaukee County investigation.
Well setting aside the fact that the law doesn’t really allow for a legal defense fund to be set up for that reason, now it looks like Governor Walker wasn’t even cooperating with the District Attorney:
Milwaukee County prosecutors opened the secret John Doe criminal investigation more than two years ago after being stonewalled by Gov. Scott Walker’s office when he was county executive, according to a newly released record.
The document appears to cast doubt on some of Walker’s claims about his role in launching and cooperating with the probe.
On May 5, 2010, Assistant District Attorney Bruce Landgraf filed a petition with court officials asking if his office could initiate a secret investigation into what happened with $11,000 in donations intended for Operation Freedom, an annual event honoring veterans.
Walker has repeatedly brushed aside questions about the John Doe by claiming credit for launching it.
“Another interesting thing for people tuning in tonight is to know,” Walker said during last week’s recall debate, “this investigation started because my office asked for it nearly two years ago.”
Are Governor Walker’s claims falling apart?
Another associate of Governor Walker has received immunity in the John Doe probe: Fran McLaughlin, who previously was Scott Walker’s spokesperson when Scott Walker was Milwaukee County Executive. For those counting, that is 13 (13!) people who have been granted immunity in the probe. Sounds like something big is brewing.
Categories: | Media | Recall Walker | Scott Walker | Wisconsin